Under California Vehicle Code 23153 VC, a DUI resulting in injury is defined as an act of driving under the influence which directly causes bodily injury to another. A violation of California's DUI laws can include driving under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or having a blood alcohol content of 0.08% or higher.
What are the exact penalties for violating 23153 VC?
Misdemeanor DUI with Injury:
- Five days or up to one year in jail
- $3,000-$5,000 in fines
- Attendance at an alcohol or drug education program
- One to three years of license suspension
- Financial restitution for those injured
Felony DUI with Injury:
- Two to four years in a California prison
- Additional prison sentence of three to six years for great bodily injury
- An additional year in prison for every other person injured, up to three years additional maximum
- $1,015-$5,000 in fines
- Attendance at a DUI school
- Strike on your record under the CA Three Strike's Law
- Five year license suspension
Possible Defense Strategies for DUIs Causing Injury
By working with a knowledgeable and aggressive Fresno DUI defense attorney, you can fight to protect your rights if you have been accused of a DUI causing injury. Our team can take a look at the situation and extenuating circumstances surrounding your accident, looking for other evidence pointing to why the collision may have occurred.
We take a look at things like:
- Weather at the time of the crash
- Any damage caused to either vehicle
- The conditions of the road or highway
- Accuracy of the BAC level report at the time of your arrest
In essence we reconstruct the scene of the accident, investigating every piece of the case until we discover the information necessary to defend your rights.
30+ Years' Collective Defense Experience
Attempting to go through the legal defense of a case such as this can be extremely difficult by yourself. Retain the legal representation of our Fresno DUI attorneys at Andritch & Aed for help from top-rated professionals who have more than 30 years of combined experience.